Thursday, August 6, 2009

Denver Travel Memories: Attack of the Chocolate Pomegranates

We're currently en route to Denver. Since nothing interesting has happened so far (aside from seeing a super tan and fit 50+ year old woman hula-hooping and talking on her cell phone next to her car at a gas station in the middle of Nebraska), I thought I would tell the story of my last journey to Denver.

FGC did a 5-night run in Colorado last March. I had the luxury of flying out there after doing two shows in Virginia with Steve Kimock, while the rest of the band made the long drive out from Chicago in our van and trailer. While in Virginia, I was given a huge bag of my precious coveted chocolate pomegranates by Dr. Lora, good friend of the Kimock bunch and unofficial chocolate pomegranate dealer. Rather than lug the entire bag on the flight in my back pack, I made a travel-size portion using the ice bucket baggie from my hotel room, and put the remainder of the choc-poms in my checked bag.

During the flight, I broke out the baggie and happily munched on the addictive chocolates while watching some movies on my laptop. When the flight landed, I got up from my row and looked back to make sure I didn't leave anything, noticing a brown smudge on the seat. I thought to myself, "Oh great, I sat on a dirty seat for the entire flight?" Oh well, didn't think much of it.

I made a stop in the bathroom once I got into the airport and was completely mortified to find a huge brown smudge on the back of my jeans. Did I poop my pants and not even realize it? No, a quick (and awkward) sniff revealed foul play by chocolate. How did this happen? I then pulled out the remainder of the choc poms from my backpack to find that the flimsy ice bucket baggie from the hotel had a hole in it, and all the while that I was eating these things on the plane, they were, unbeknownst to me, dropping into my lap, between my legs, and melting all over my ass.

Has this embarrassing incident made me paranoid about eating chocolate pomegranates since, or turned me off of them altogether? Hell no; I am addicted to them as ever. But it has taught me to always look behind me!

2 comments:

  1. A hilarious scenario, Janis. Even better, one that the next airline passenger probably also had to duplicate - without the benefit of knowing about the choc pomegranite incident, and probably far less willing to perform said 'sniff test.'

    ReplyDelete