Friday, September 18, 2009

9/17/09 Picador, Iowa City, IA (with Victor Wooten!)

This show was a special one for me, given that we were to be opening for one of the greatest bass players of all time, and thankfully I wasn't the nervous wreck that I was for our first Wooten opening last year at Chicago's House of Blues.

We arrived to the venue just as Victor was finishing up soundchecking. He greeted me with a booming "Janis!!!" and introduced me to his wife and four kids who were all on the road with him. I had assumed this tour would be a small operation, given that it's just a duo of Victor and drummer, but no, they had a full tour bus and the family factor, not mention a monster bass rig and an even bigger monster of a drum kit.

Out set went off well. We were kind of crammed onto the small stage, but I think the close quarters made for more tight playing. The room was packed when we started, and it was easy to tell that the majority of them were musicians, since there was much more staring and much less dancing than we're used to. (I instantly got flashbacks of playing shows with Steve Kimock!) But the crowd's motionlessness turned out to be no indication of their enthusiasm, as we got cheers in all the right places and lots of great feedback after our set.

Victor hit the stage a little later, giving a sweet shout-out to me personally as well as the band after a few songs into his set. Needless to say, I was walking on a cloud for the rest of the night. His show was phenomenal, with the usual Victor virtuosity, along with some cool looping and harmonizers and backed up by an insanely funky and tastefully simple drummer named JD Blair, aka "The Groove Regulator." Go check these guys out! www.victorwooten.com

Off to Lawrence Kansas for night number two with the Woot-ster!

No comments:

Post a Comment