Tuesday, March 31, 2009

3/31/09 Red Fox Tavern, Eureka, CA

After the fairly impressive venues on the previous nights, I was pretty surprised to walk into the Red Fox, which was basically a bar, with a posted capacity of 157 people. The stage was tiny, and I think the sound system left much to be desired for Brian, but the stage sound was fine for me, aside from a kooky drum monitor toward the end of the first night.

There was an awesome hospitality spread at the venue, with a veggie tray, gourmet cheese tray, and the biggest bucket of Sabra hummus I’ve ever seen. Jon Dooey showed up and capped it off with some crazy homemade organic vegan salad, so I was happy to have my dinner completely taken care of without having to wander around the town for it. We went back to the hotel to chill for a bit before the show, where I watched some American Idol (Go Adam!!), and came back to the venue about 15 minutes before I scheduled showtime. The place was absolutely empty. I was thinking to myself, “Not only am I gonna play a ‘bar gig’ with Steve Kimock, is it going to be a bar gig to an empty room?” We pushed back the start time at least a half an hour, and by mid first set, the place was packed, with certainly more than the allotted 157 people.

The atmosphere on stage was more relaxed than the previous shows, and I felt like Johnny was starting to get some more confidence and take charge a bit with the jams. We had an insane 20-minute “Ice Cream” with a great jam in the middle of it. Johnny, Melvin, and I locked into a funk/disco groove, and Steve apparently decided that some crazy feedback noises would go well with it. And somehow it worked. A little Bee Gees meets The Who, I guess. At one point, I look over and Steve was holding his guitar in front of the amp making crazy feedback, with a huge goofy smile on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment