Sunday, April 19, 2009

4/18/09 BB King's, New York, NY

Click here to stream free audio of the show!

We set off from Fairfield at the totally reasonable hour of noon and headed into NYC. We arrived into the clusterf*ck that is Times Square, and while the crew loaded in, I set off to find myself some New York pizza....of course preceded by plenty of whining that I was hungry and wanted some pizza. It was a nice day and the streets were bustling with tourists, but I weaved my way through the madness and found a family-owned pizza joint just around the corner and dropped $3 on a slice.

I had plenty of time to kill before soundcheck, but I had enough of the busy city streets with my pizza run and decided to just chill at BB's until go time.

Soundcheck was brief but entertaining, with Steve's 5-year-old son, Skyler, joining in the jams with a shaker and some killer dance moves. Watch out for this kid; he's gonna be the most famous Kimock yet!

We had dinner at BB's, and I got an insane amount of mac 'n' cheese, sauteed veggies, and a baked potato. Doctor Lora was on hand with Chocolate Pomegranates, so I was happy and fed.

The show was a marathon 2+ hour set with no break. We played a pretty cool "It's Up to You" and a cookin' "Hillbillies on PCP." We walked off stage not planning on doing an encore but the crowd wouldn't let up. The final test was throwing Steve's hat out onstage from backstage, and the crowd went wild, so we returned to the stage with "Slow Down" and then called it a night.

After the show, I got to hang out with Margie, my old college roommate, and to meet her new boyfriend, Dennis. Both were sufficiently toasted from several buckets of Coors, and we had a good time catching up.

Loading out was insane as Times Square at 11pm on a Saturday night was even crazier than in the afternoon. Although I could barely even tell that it was nighttime as the lights from the buildings cast an eerie daytime-ish glow over the entire block.

The bus finally rolled out and we trekked our way back to the Comfort Inn in Bethlehem to crash for the night.

3 comments:

  1. So was the pizza worth $3 a slice? I never had NY Pizza..... it's supposed to be the Ultimate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was pretty damn good and worth the 3 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that was your bus out front. After the last song, everyone was loading at hyperspeed.

    Thanks for the blog with details about the tour with photos and music.

    ReplyDelete