Thursday, April 2, 2009

4/2/09 Domino Room, Bend, OR

Click here to stream free audio from the show!

We hit the road at a god-awful 10am, and proceeded on the 7 hour drive to Bend, Oregon. It was not fun whatsoever, but a very pretty drive, and Charlie did a decent job dealing with my neuroses as we drove through a few snowy spots. My main freak-out of the day was not the snow, but the fact that I had left my hat at the venue the night before. I lamented about it all day long, but when I arrived at the venue, my hat was waiting for me on my amp, rescued by Chris the night before. Thanks Chris!!

The venue was interesting. One half of it was a huge rollerskating rink, and the other half was the venue. Neither half was heated so they had space heaters blasting everywhere.

The highlight of Bend was meeting up with my friend Kevin who I hadn’t seen or had any contact with in about 12 years. We found each other on Facebook within the past 6 months or so, and I was ecstatic to be playing in his hometown. Another sweet dog sighting as he and his wife, Darcy, brought along their adorable puppy. We grabbed some dinner at a local pizza place and quickly caught up on each other’s lives.

The show was packed and went well. I saw a fan in the crowd sporting a WWJD shirt, so that was fun. And once again, Johnny was continuing to own on the drums, and we had some fun improv jams. We opened with “Thing One,” and when we returned to the head at the end, I looked up and both Steve and Melvin were looking at me and smiling. The looks lingered so long that I quickly became paranoid that I was playing the wrong thing and looked down at my hands several times to make sure I was on the right frets, all the while looking back up and still seeing both of them smiling at me. Apparently, they were just digging the moment!

After the show, I hit a latenight diner with Kevin and Darcy and got to enjoy some more quality time. Again, I appreciated that I could split right after the show and not have to deal with any of the load-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment