Monday, April 27, 2009

4/26/09 Skipper's Smokehouse, Tampa, FL

We rolled into Tampa around 8am, and since our hotel rooms weren't ready yet, the bus hit up a Walmart where those who were crazy enough to be awake did some shopping. I half slept in my bunk until 10am when my hotel room became available (thanks to Charlie for hooking me up with the first room!!), and then continued my slumber in a real bed until soundcheck time.

The venue was a bit like "Gilligan's Island" as Steve had warned, but it was an interesting change from the run-of-the-mill venues we had been playing on the tour. It was outdoors, but luckily it was a beautiful sunny afternoon and not too hot. Soundcheck was pretty minimal since production was running late, and while we waited for showtime, we dined on some very mediocre food in the venue's restaurant. I do not recommend the grilled cheese! Kimock fans Pam, Andy, Alan, and Cindy joined us for the grub, so at least the company was good!

The first set was a bit shaky, since I think we were all a bit dazed from a poor night's sleep, and the show's early start of 5:30pm certainly didn't help either! We all woke up a bit for the second set, and it was quite the marathon, clocking in at exactly 2 hours. We closed the set with "It's Your Thing," and I did my signature rock star jump, with the additional excitement of being able to jump off the drum riser, adding a good foot or so to my leap. I need to remember to stretch first next time!

The show ended early, and the group sans The Girls (but plus our bus driver!) hit up the Perkins next to our hotel for some dinner. My bad milkshake luck continued, as I soon learned that the Perkin's milkshake machine was broken (are you kidding me?!?!). For those not following along with the previous blog entries, this was failed attempt #3 at getting a milkshake on this tour...I am doomed! (Charlie snapped this candid shot of me lamenting over lack of milkshake). We all enjoyed our food and some silly antics with various jelly packets and creamers, and then hit the hotel for the night.

4 comments:

  1. Humm, not so good for you. You don't eat fish? It's the best Grouper Sandwich in FL. Good for you sleeping in. Wal Mart Bad.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a vegetarian...hence the grilled cheese sandwich at a BBQ/seafood joint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's the best 'pouty face' that I've seen in a long time, Janis. Sorry to hear about the bad milkshake karma, that's serious stuff.

    Your sad saga prompted me to do a little googling on your behalf, and I find that the best milkshakes in Athens, GA can be had at The Grill, just one block away from the Georgia Theater: http://www.thegrillathensga.com

    Hope it works out...and make mine a chocolate malt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janis-

    I saw the 3-show Oregon run in early April- absolutely loved it!

    I am really enjoying your blog from the road. Keep it up! See you at 10klf this summer...

    Scott in Montana

    ReplyDelete